Cayden's Birth Story

Let's start with the night before.. 

I was really craving a PB&J smoothie from Jamba Juice --it sounds disgusting but it's a real thing and it's amazing. It was already 8 something pm and on Yelp it said every Jamba closed at 9 except for one, so we headed over to that one. In the end, it was closed, and I was standing outside the door like an angry pregnant lady who didn't get her smoothie. At 9 pm. Sooo rational of me right? I firmly believe being stressed out over a smoothie was enough to put me into labor at 38 weeks. Our moms were supposed to fly up from Vegas to be with us but it ended up just being us two since he came early!

After that, I started feeling some slight stomach pains but ignored it. By around 5 am the next morning the pains got stronger, but they honestly felt like gas and so I tried to see if I had to poop. Didn't work. I took a shower, and then I called my midwife asking if this was a sign that I was in labor. My water hadn't even broken or anything yet. (I wanted to quickly add that while I was on the phone with her it started snowing outside. I don't know, it's just a little detail I always want to remember.) She said possibly, but to get some sleep and to start timing them if they get even more intense because if I came in too early, they might have to send me back home until the contractions were actually close enough. By the way, Adrian was still sleeping while I was doing all of this lol. I didn't want to worry him, and I wanted him to be well rested in case I did go into labor that day. I fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up they were even stronger so I decided that it was time to wake Adrian up. I was crying at this point because they were so painful. I started timing them and they were about 4 minutes apart so we headed to the hospital around 1 pm. I just remember being in the car and looking over at Adrian and seeing him so calm made me feel calm. 

When they checked to see how dilated I was, she was surprised that I waited that long to come in lol! It's because I wanted it to be guaranteed that we wouldn't go home. We got admitted and brought into our giant birthing suite. For a place to give birth, my hospital was seriously the best thing I could have asked for. It was a quiet weekend and we had the floor to ourselves for the most part. For a while I did the whole bouncy ball thing but since the birthing suite had a jacuzzi, I took full advantage of it while waiting out my contractions. It was soo much better once I got in the water. I remember one time I had to pee though, so we had to time going to the bathroom when I wasn't having a contraction so I could get out and walk to the bathroom real fast and not get one while out of the tub. Didn't work. Anyway, Adrian was feeding me fruit and ice chips, while keeping a warm towel on my forehead. Meanwhile my midwife was massaging my back. In my birth plan there was never a moment when I even considered natural birth. I was not about to be a hero haha but being in the jacuzzi really made me think I could do it and even have a water birth 💪🏼 (I didn't) I waited as long as possible to get the epidural -- I was also told the earlier you get it, the longer labor might take as well. Around 5 o'clock I decided it was time. I couldn't take the pain anymore and I needed the epidural. 

*By the way, my midwife Jenn introduced me to a new midwife, Rachel, that was supposed to start that month at the hospital and it was literally my first time meeting her that day. Needless to say we got real comfortable with each other, real quick.*

After that I took a nap and woke up around 7 and they checked how dilated I was. My water eventually broke during some time during the night but I still wasn't ready so I took another nap and woke up around 9ish. They asked if I wanted to start pushing and I said yes. We wanted to meet our baby boy!! I pushed for a total of 3 hours and I might as well admit that KUWTK was playing on the tv in the background. I was in so much pain (in my stomach) even with the epidural because Cayden's head was in a weird position so it was pushing against my abdomen. It wasn't supposed to hurt that much and we tried every weird position possible but I still cried and screamed lol. I even threw up. Twice. Adrian and I were betting that I was going to poop but I didn't (yay me). I should also mention that not once did I ever feel like yelling at Adrian or getting mad at him during labor like they do in the movies. It was like he just knew when to back off and when to offer some help. I couldn't have asked for better support. 3 hours later at 11:48 pm on November 29th, 2014, out came a beautiful 7 lb 19 in baby boy with the cutest cheeks I had ever seen.

Adrian and I were fully prepared for an ugly newborn baby because let's be honest, sometimes our little humans can come out looking like straight up potatoes before they get cute. I just remember the first thing I did was look down at him and then look at Adrian and said "he's CUTE!" with Adrian responding "I know!!" Please do not judge us as parents based off of that statement. 

We were in the hospital for three days and what I loved the most was that we could just order a bunch of food using the tv remote and also have full access to the maternity floors pantry haha. I'd walk there and get juice and little snacks. We also kept the movie Blended with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore always playing on the tv. To this day, we still watch that movie every time it's on. One thing I regret the most is not taking enough photos or videos of me and Adrian during our time waiting for Cayden at the hospital. 

Here's a little video Adrian took of Cayden while I was sleeping. (I think you can only view it on a desktop, sorry if you're on your phone!):

This was when we brought him home and Kona met him for the first time. She was only 3 months old at the time! Two babies, I know, people thought we were crazy.:

It's been over a year since I've given birth and I more than likely left out quite a few details including a lot of numbers as far as how dilated I was and I honestly just estimated times, but it's better late than never! I always think about how I would never trade my birthing experience for anything. I even often forget that I threw up. I guess it's because he was so worth it and I can't wait to do it again some day.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Cdozen. Design by Fearne.