Averie's Birth Story


I suppose I should write this all out before I forget the small details, although there aren't too many to remember since her labor and especially her delivery all happened so quickly.

On June 19th, I started having mild cramping at around 530ish AM and honestly wasn't sure if it was the start of contractions or not, but I timed them just in case. At about 630 AM I called my midwife and let her know I might need to start heading in soon because the hospital is about an hour away from where we now live. We got everything ready and all took showers, then we headed over and arrived at about 9. The nurse said when she saw me walking in that she honestly didn't think I looked like I was having any contractions... but when my midwife checked me, I was already 5 cm dilated haha. I was laying there joking with Adrian that I didn't wanna do this because I was terrified. While we were in triage I started spewing out ideas for middle names saying Nora, Jolie, etc. and we fell in love with Jude. 

They asked if I wanted to walk around or get situated in the delivery room but I said I'd rather walk around. I really wanted an unmedicated L and D so I didn't want to sit and wait around. LOL boy oh boy. We went downstairs to the cafeteria to grab something to eat but in that 10 or so minutes that we were walking, my contractions intensified so much that I felt chills and couldn't handle them anymore. I needed to get in the tub asap. I had to lean on Adrian as we were walking back upstairs.


When we got into the birthing suite, the nurse took what felt like forever to prep me for the tub. I couldn't even sign my name properly on the paperwork she had me fill out. I was pretty annoyed and just wanted to say flat out CAN I GET IN THE TUB NOWWW.

When I was laboring with Cayden, Adrian was right next to me wiping my forehead with a towel and feeding me ice chips and fruit lol. This time around, I got in the tub and labored in water for about 15 minutes until I felt the craziest feeling in the world and just knew I had to push. It was happening too fast and I felt like I had no control over my body, she wanted to get out! I remember yelling "I'm pushing!!!" and them running over to me saying "we'll get in trouble if you deliver in the tub! We need to get you out!" hahah. They had me doing low groans and Cayden was becoming deeply concerned for my well-being lol. I told (maybe yelled?) Adrian to get Cayden out of the room and they left and went out into the lobby. 

Adrian's mom was supposed to be in Washington for the birth so she could help watch Cayden at home while we went to the hospital to deliver, but since Averie came so early we had no choice but to bring him. I'm so glad they allowed him to even be there! I didn't know children, especially children so young, were allowed. It ended up working perfectly because we all got to be together to meet Averie and I wouldn't have changed anything. However, while I was in the tub I was texting my mommy friend Shareece and asked if she could come pick him up from the hospital because I was in labor and it was getting too crazy with him here. She literally came right away and picked him up and took him to Chuck E. Cheese for a playdate with her son Jayden. It was such a lifesaver and I couldn't be more thankful!! I should also mention that this was the first time I ever let anyone else watch Cayden other than his grandparents because I'm a crazy paranoid mom.

Back to the birth-- I got on the bed and I don't even remember feeling contractions whatsoever anymore. I just remember the feeling of pushing and I'm going to be completely transparent here and say that I was so worried that I was pooping!!! Seriously.. scared shitless. It was just my body pushing her out haha. I'm not saying this to be funny - although it is - but I'm saying this so those of you who are intimidated of unmedicated births know that there is absolutely nothing to be scared of. The waiting and contractions before pushing are the worst part of it all. Once you get past that hump, all that's left is pushing (literally) towards your end goal, which is meeting that sweet baby you've been waiting to meet for 9 months. It was relieving.. and dare I even say euphoric? Of course I am well aware that every labor is different.




My midwife stopped and told me I had 2 choices.. I could meet her in 5 minutes or I could wait for a little while. After hearing that, I didn't even waste another second. At 10:53 AM after 5 minutes of pushing, this little 7 lb 4 ounce baby was placed on my chest. I just remember saying "what! she's here?!" Then Adrian and Cayden came back into the room and it was such an amazing feeling to have everyone meet for the first time. I wish I could bottle up that moment and relive it over and over again. 


You guys... I really wanted to take a funny photo of me in labor of me eating donuts with a few resting on my big pregnant belly and caption it "donuts and contractions" BUT obviously that didn't happen and I can't believe I even thought I'd have the time for that lmao. 


Of course me being me, I vlogged the day of her birth. I had a whole idea in my head of how I wanted it to go but I didn't have time to remember to put my glasses on let alone where to place the camera hahaha. The nurse was so kind to record for me though. I have two videos and I'll post them down below if you're interested :)


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Cdozen. Design by Fearne.